As expected, not much surprised me when I arrived on Capitol Hill this morning- my old desk, familiar co-workers and the comforting smell of coffee brewing. Along with the old, there were new treasures that unwrapped themselves today- along with promises of new surprises throughout the summer.
Something was new this year: I am obligated to go to at least one hearing or debate per week and write a one page memo about it. I can go to as many hearings as I want. I am still trying to decide on major topics and legislation I would like to follow in hearings throughout the summer but I am thinking gun control, immigration or the economy. These are all obviously interesting and guarantee action. I am extremely excited to have this new experience! I will see first-hand what legislators and policy-drivers do in their daily jobs.
I also created a set of goles I would like to accomplish this summer:
I also created a set of goles I would like to accomplish this summer:
·
I would love to go to some hearings on gun
control, immigration or economy in general.
·
One of my goals this summer is to learn a little
about how people have gotten to where they are. Including school, internships
etc. as I begin my own college application process and decide what I want to
do with my life. I’m meeting with a few alumni from my high school that have
thriving careers in the DC area and political field. I hope to get to
know about everyone around this office. Networking!!!
·
Another short term goal is to complete a video
project for school. Its due 2 weeks but basically I just need to get my video
camera out for one day and ask people if they can tell me in 10 seconds or so, in their own
opinion, what a congressional office does.
·
Lastly, have fun!
I'm excited for another great day tomorrow!
God Bless America,
Ali


No comments:
Post a Comment