Thursday, June 27, 2013

June 27, 2013

A very busy week on Capitol Hill is finally coming to a close! Huge, life changing, decision were made this week! First, the Supreme Court determined the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional. Interesting fact, an alumnus from my high school was actually the attorney responsible for winning the case! Then, the Senate passed a new bill on Immigration reform. Its unlikely that Congress will pass the same bill, but it was exciting to watch the Senate pass it in a sweeping 68-32 majority (all Democrats and 14 Republicans). I tried to go to the Senate Chamber to watch them pass this bill in person, but the entire spectator balcony was filled with 5 bus loads of undocumented immigrants. Luckily, C-SPAN was broadcasting the votes to every TV and computer screen in the entire building.

The next piece of legislation the Senate plans to work on will be Student Loans. The Senate has adjourned for the 4th of July holiday week, so that means student loan rates are set to double next week. This is especially concerning for an America teen, like me, who will be applying for student loans this year!

Controversial issues, such DOMA and immigration, usually bring protestors galore to the nation's capital! They have been literally swarming Capitol Hill this week! As I walked out of work today I listened to this group chant, "WHAT DO WE WANT - IMMIGRATION REFORM - WHEN DO WE WANT IT - NOW!!!" As you can see, this potentially angry mob was contained and organized onto a single side walk by Capitol Hill Police. Thanks guys!

On Monday I had the opportunity to go to a pizza lunch with Paul Ryan! It was great because the Speaker's interns sat in reserved VIP seats in the front row! Courageously I stood up and asked Paul a question during the Q&A session. It was exhilarating, not only because he explained how he started as a Congressional intern before becoming a congressman (my dream), but because his dreamy eyes held solid eye-contact with mine for at least 5 mins. 

Now that July recess has begun I am looking forward to some much needed (and deserved) R&R! 

God Bless America, 
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment